6 September 2022
* We have received reports, whilst not yet confirmed, that the ZIM CHARLESTON may berth in Colombo to re-load containers that have already been secured by acceptable GA security on / after 12th September 2022.
* For any cargo that is not secured before the 12th September, it is understood that separate arrangements will be made to carry it to destination, the details of which have not yet been advised.
* We are currently instructed by a significant number of Cargo Insurers and are able to assist you if you are concerned with any cargo stowed on board the vessel.
* Should you have new instructions, we would encourage you to submit claims via our GA Document Portal at https://wkwccmdocs.azurewebsites.net/Vessel/NewClaim?id=9. Documents can be uploaded via the portal to allow for more efficient document management so that GA guarantees can be issued promptly upon receipt of the required information.
* With regards to the security requirements imposed by the average adjusters, where insurers do not have an acceptable rating for the purposes of providing an average guarantee, WKW may be able to assist, in accordance with our STC's and subject to our Directors and Insurers approval. If you require assistance in completing the General Average security formalities, please contact us at https://www.wkwebster.com/casualty-details/320/zim-charleston
* Please contact us as soon as possible if you are concerned with any cargo on board the vessel so that we may take steps to provide GA security on your behalf.
22 August 2022
* We have received the following updated information concerning the fire on board container ship, ZIM CHARLESTON.
* We are advised that General Average has now been declared by charterers.
* Consequently, General Average security will be required from all Cargo Interests prior to the delivery of their cargo and we are likely to be able to assist in that regard.
* We are currently in contact with Average Adjusters to ascertain the terms of the GA security to be provided.
* We also have fire experts on hand to investigate the cause(s) of the fire and we may be able to offer certain economies of scale in respect of such third party costs which may need to be incurred.
* We recommend that you contact us urgently if you are concerned with any cargo on board this vessel so that we can immediately start taking steps to protect your interests.
* We have received reports that container ship, ZIM CHARLESTON experienced a fire in cargo hold no. 4 whilst navigating off Colombo on 8 August 2022.
* It is reported that approximately 300 containers may have been affected by the fire, heat and smoke, and water damage arising from the subsequent firefighting operations.
* The vessel is reported to have berthed at East Container Terminal, Colombo, where containers stowed on deck in the affected bays were discharged on 12 August 2022.
* We understand that further investigations are being made at Colombo to ascertain whether it is safe to discharge containers from the affected hold.
* It is possible that Recovery issues may arise as a result of this casualty.
* We recommend that you contact us if you are concerned with any cargo on board this vessel so that we can immediately start taking steps to protect your interests.